Update: See also list on MY TECHNE.
What follows are the programming languages I’ve learned in the order of learning them; their relative importance is marked up with
small indicates I didn’t fully learn or actually use the language.
- Perl 5
- PHP 4 & 5
- Visual Basic 6
- Classic ASP: VBScript & JScript
- (Visual) C/C++
- Python (I expect/hope that this will supplant PHP in the next couple years, getting an extra
Not included in the list above are markup languages and other related technologies: (X)HTML 4 & 5, XML, CSS, DOM, RSS, Atom, RDF, XML Schema, XPath, JSON, JSON/XML-RPC, SVG, VML, OSIS, iCal, Microformats, MathML, etc.
Idea via and prompted by James Tauber, via Dougal Matthews.
3 replies on “Programming Languages I’ve Learned In Order”
In order by when learned (oldest first), how much I like them and links for the youngsters.
Here’s my list:
1. Basic (high school, like it, because didn’t know another one)
2. Fortran (freshman year college, helped a clueless but cute girl who started to program the night before it was due)
3. Pascal (dropped the course)
4. C (first job, out of college, like it)
5. C++ (like even more than C)
6. Java (like equally to C++)
8. C# 1 (why bother, inferior than Java)
9. C# 2 (ok, slightly “better” than Java, so what)
10. Python (like it more than Java and C++)
12. C# 3 (lambda, LINQ, anonymous type, etc, totally love it)
Here is mine:
Visual Fox pRO
Pascal(Like and first jobs)
PHP(My favorite for 5 years)
python(My current job and the most awesome i have know)